Figs--My new Favorite Raw Food


Last weekend I was visiting at my sister's house--we celebrated her and her daughter's birthdays. Being a vegan, and especially a raw vegan, can be a challenge on such visits, although most of my family will always try to accommodate Demetrye and I as much as they can. At times being high raw is not an option, so we eat what we can, and then load up on extra raw foods in the following days.

This time, although my sister's thought that my choices were pretty limited, I loaded up on potatoes and tomato and cucumber salad that I whipped up myself in their kitchen. But before I got that far, I saw a couple of boxes of interestingly looking green fruit sitting on their counter. I started to salivate almost right away. Figs!

It might be hard to believe for some of you, but the country that I grew up in did not grow figs, and even after immigrating to America it was not a fruit that I indulged in--to be honest I had never had a raw fig... until that moment in my sister's kitchen.

Even before I could say a word, she and her husband, apologetically invited me to have some, feeling guilty that I was going to be unfed. Oh, I was in heaven! Figs--as much as I wanted, fresh from a tree! I pulled out all stops and started to peel them open one after another--it was like opening mini-jars filled with the most delicious jam! Even for the biggest sugar lovers this fruit would be a perfect solution--if tastes as it has been prepared with a generous helping of sugar.

My sister, Luba, kept warning me that they are laxative and that I should have no more than a couple. It was quite cute, actually, watch them worry about me this way--being high raw vegan cleanses your body from all junk that would present such problems, and your stomach becomes like a fine-tuned engine, thriving only on the best of fuel--raw, unprocessed foods!

I had not two, not four, but at least 15 of figs, and was satisfied for almost the entire night (no "side effects" of course). I even took a few home with me.

Figs are very rich in the following, among many other wonderful nutrients:

To see a complete profile visit WHFoods, by clicking on the link.

Until next time: Live an Unprocessed, Happy Life!