Healthful Competition

I have not posted in a while, but it is not because there is nothing to post about, it's actually the opposite. I have been staying busy with taking better care of myself. I actually had my first colonic [I will write about that later], bought and started using dry body brush, invented new recipes, and... I keep staying away from Gluten and Soy products.

But there is more... About a week and a half ago we had my husband's friend, Brandon, over for dinner. In the course of our conversation we got on the subject of walking around our local lake. Brandon mentioned that he walks it a couple of times a week. The lake is about 3.6 miles. Somehow, and my memory fails here, but I believe it is Demetrye's fault, I was asked how long it takes me to walk the lake. Not having done it in a while, except for an occasional late afternoon stroll, I told him that it used to take me 45 minutes. Brandon thought it was impossible. My husband, the instigator, suggested that Brandon should challenge me. Before I knew it, the day was set and my destiny was planned for me. We were scheduled to compete last Saturday.

Throughout the week of the competition I planned to train for at least a couple of days. Unfortunately for me, things kept coming up one after another. By Wednesday I ended up with a pinched nerve on my back and could barely move. I was only hoping that we would still be able to compete--I am not the type to bail out. By Friday I felt good enough to get out and give it a try. I should have fallen the golden rule--rest the day before any competition. Needless to say, I was SORE Saturday morning... and tired. I did push myself to get to the gym and stretch for almost an hour. I also downed a couple of glasses of green smoothies and kept my diet clean of any heavy foods that would make me tired or slow me down in any other way.

By 4 p.m. we headed to the lake. It was raining, but neither one of us wanted to back out. I told Brandon that he was going to lose and that he still had time to concede, but, as any other red blooded male, he refused.

We set a wager: if I lost, I would buy him a book, if he lost he would go FAST FOOD FREE for 2.5 weeks. I did try to get him to go Vegan for 30 days, but he could not imagine doing that. I then tried to have him go Junk Food free, and then we settled on Fast Food free, as he tends to have fast foods at least 5 times a week.

Oh, what a competition it was! I am not going to boast too much, but will only say this--I beat him by 10 minutes. I walked the entire distance in 44 minutes! [No running or jogging was allowed!]

So, here is to the sweet moment of victory, right after Brandon caught up with me. [I am grateful that my niece Anastacia came out and snapped these couple of photos with her iPhone.] I was wet and tired, but... I WON!

And here is one with my Sweet, Sweet Man! He was so supportive. He acted as my manager and even gave me a 2 minute body rub to get my body relaxed and blood flowing.

I was sore for a couple of days after the competition, but I am certainly glad that we did it. Now Brandon has an opportunity to get "clean" and feel better and more energized, even if it is for a short time. I am hoping that he will like the way he feels and will dump his love affair with Fast Food for good.

The positive aspect of it all is that Brandon is really serious about sticking with his commitment. I spoke with him a couple of days ago and he said that he will try to stay fast food "free" for at least a month. His father and his boss were inspired by his commitment and decided to join him in the effort. Who knew that a 44 minute race could be so productive?! Not only that, but is sounds like I am going to have more challenges coming my way. Apparently there are more hot-blooded males, who would love to prove that they can be faster than I. But it is not only speed, that counts, my friends! Endurance is a major key as well! And let me tell you that it is easier to stay the course when there is nothing clogging your pores :) I know what my wager is going to be if I am challenged, and, I am sure, you guessed it :) Maybe I can convert the entire town this way to a healthier lifestyle!

Last night Demetrye and I joined Brandon on a grocery-shopping "trip". I showed him what foods to buy and how to combine them into meals to benefit from these 2 weeks. He was amazingly open-minded, and we all are expecting great results! I will make sure to keep you posted.

I wish everyone a wonderful day! Stay Healthy!!! Live Happy!!!