Polenta

Going Gluten-Free almost two months ago really pushed me to explore new foods and grains. I still have an occasional craving for bread, I was a true bread eater most of my life. I always enjoyed home made breads and my bagels. The bagels were such a delicious treat! I can barely wait when one day I will be able to make AND eat them again. I am just holding out until I can buy a mill to grind my own grain on AS NEEDED basis. Until then... I am only going to have memories...

I have tried a couple of gluten-free flowers, and they were OK. However I do not look to create a substitute. I want to see if I can do without for at least 6 months. I will, probably, try substitutes once in a while, but not on regular basis for sure.

As I mentioned above, I have been trying new grains. Although polenta is not a grain (it is made out of corn), it really gives me the same nice and warm feeling. It is probably one of the easiest to me--takes less than 10 minutes. I cook it with only water and a pinch of salt. The results are delicious. I do combine polenta with a good green salad, so that it can be digested easier. I had also tried it with a hint of honey. The result was delicious. It actually reminded me of scrambled egg with cheese, although my husband, a true ex-egg lover disagrees with me on this one.

This was my dinner. There is really no recipe to post--just an idea. The salad was very simple: mixed greens and garbanzo beans, sprinkled with a spoonful of honey mustard dressing. Polenta was made with water and salt. That is it! That is how simply it can be to eat Vegan Style.

I have been more diligent to sticking to my 80/20 rule (80% raw, 20% cooked diet). I started to juice! (yeah for me!!!) I found a juicer at my Mom's house and I could not have been more excited. I wanted to add fresh juices to our diet for a while now. I did not want to spend money yet on a juicer I really wanted. I might actually have to get a couple of them--one to juice hard fruits and veggies (carrots, apples, etc.) and one for greens. So, if you have any suggestions, send them my way. However, I do not want to pay an arm and a leg, or give my firstborn to have a juicer.

For the last few days I have been starting my morning with a simple Carrot/Celery* Juice, which gives me a good start on the day. Then I follow up with a fruit or a green smoothie (mostly fruit for now, though, to get my energy up). For lunch I eat a good portion of a green salad, loaded with delicious vegetables and, at times seeds or beans. Dinner is the only time I eat a cooked dish now. Snacks vary between fruits, nuts and dried fruits.

*Carrots are full of Potassium, Calcium and Phosphorus, among many other wonder vitamins and minerals. It is great for eyes, hair nails, teeth, jaws, etc.

*Celery, incidentally, is also full of Potassium, Calcium and Phosphorus. It is great for arthritis, neuritis, rheumatism, acidity, high blood pressure, nerves, and a great blood cleanser.

Nest week I am planning to change up juice ingredients. I might try beets, apples, cabbage and various greens (if I find an easy way to juice them, otherwise they will be blended in smoothies).

There are more recipes on the way. I have not been sitting idle :) Make sure to check them out. Just to give you an idea what to expect in the next few days (post are already ready and schedule to go), here is what's to come: Stuffed Tomatoes, Carrot Salad, and Pasta Salad (for those who can eat wheat pasta.

Until next time, BE HEALTHY!!! LIVE HAPPY!!!