Vegan Dumplings with Tomato Sauce-Quick Meal

Once in a while we all look for a quick meal. The reasons vary: too tired, too little time, etc., but one goal--feed me now!

The recipe that follows was created purely out of such frustration. One night when I was not in a mood to make any big meals, it was "fend for yourself" night. I saw my husband go through one of his very special, ritualistic, yet unusual "food dances". Although such a dance might be more usual than I think, since I have heard many of my female friends describe their husbands' behavior in a similar way. What is a food dance? It is when someone, in this came my husband, goes from cupboard to cupboard and then to the refrigerator, in hopes of finding a prepared meal. He does it in almost a hypnotic manner, especially when he gets to the fridge: he opens it, leans on the door and starts staring into the space, as if trying to summon a meal to create itself. When nothing happens, he closes the fridge, sits down, only to get up and repeat the same thing over and over... until I become frustrated watching him, or have pity on him and offer to make a meal.

What follows is the next part of this food dance. "Honey, would you like me to make something for you?" I would ask. "No. No, I am not hungry." [He goes through the cupboards and the fridge again.] Me: "Honey, can I make you something quick?" "No, I am OK." The dance normally ends in one of two ways, actually with the same result:1. I get frustrated, get up and make him a meal; 2. He finally gives in, confesses to being hungry and unable to fend for himself and... I get up and make him a meal.

It was the case on a night when I was particularly tired. The problem was resolved as in case #1: I got frustrated, got up and made him a meal. He insisted that I should relax and that he would not eat anything I made, even if I tried feeding him. That lasted only until he got the first whiff of this simple, and simply delicious dish. Then, as if on command, he got quiet. When the meal was done and served, my not-so-hungry husband kept going for more until everything was gone and I ended up making one more serving of the same meal.

Total time needed to make this dish: 15-20 minutes max.

Vegan Dumplings with Tomato Sauce
Makes 4-6 servings
Ingredients:

Dumplings
  • 1.5 cup whole wheat organic flour
  • 1.5 cup white, unbleached organic flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons of sea or Himalayan salt, or to taste
  • 2 cups warm water
Preparation
  • Combine flours and salt and pour in water, while stirring slowly, as seen below.
  • Meanwhile, boil water.
  • Take a teaspoon and drop dough mixture into boiling water, 1/2-1 teaspoons size.
  • Stir dumplings as you are dropping them in, so they do not stick.
  • Boil for 10 minutes after dropping in the last dumpling.
  • This is what dumplings look like when they quickly set in boiling water.
While dumplings are cooking, it is time to make Tomato Sauce.

Ingredients:

Sauce
  • 4 medium-large tomatoes
  • 4 springs parsley
  • 2-3 springs green onions (several individual shoots)
  • 2-4 cloves peeled garlic
  • Sea or Himalayan salt to taste
  • Black Pepper or favorite seasoning to taste
Preparation

Sauce
  • In a blender [I use Vita Mix] or food processor, chop garlic, parsley and onions, adding 2 tomatoes. Try not to blend too much, I keep my speed setting between 1-4, so I end up with some junks.
  • Add salt and pepper/seasoning.
  • Add remaining two tomatoes (I quarter mine before adding to the mix) on a very slow speed, so they get chopped in chunks.
Combining
  • When dumplings are done, drain them (you might want to keep water as a soup base),
  • In a big bowl combine dumplings with sauce.
  • Serve immediately and enjoy while the dish is hot.
It is that simple! Takes no time, and leaves everyone satisfied. I know my husband was happy when I fed him.

Until next time: Live an Unprocessed Life!