AB-SESSION {VEGAN WAY}

I don't know what hit me this year, but right around New Year I decided that being fit and slim is not enough and I have to get ripped abs.  Fortunately at the same time I started to teach fitness classes 10 hours a week.  And, being the overachiever that I am, I do everything my students do and then some.  I also spend at least an hour or so at home putting my routines together, so by the end of the week I total 11+ hours of physical [as in athletic] activity. 

Needless to say my food intake had gone WAY up.  I feel that I am hungry every few minutes.  The blessing of a whole, plant based diet comes in handy--I eat a lot of nutrient dense foods with low calorie count.  I have to be honest, though, the calorie count does not bother me at all.  In fact, I NEVER count calories.  My motto is: 

Calories are to be eaten, not counted!

Green smoothies have been amazing as pre- and post-workout food.  They have enough protein and carbs to keep me going 2-3 hours at  a time.  They are perfect for post-workout recovery, because nutrients are absorbed quickly and assimilate easily. 

For the remainder of the day I much on anything comes my way: fruit, salads, whole wheat sandwiches, 
soups, etc.  Last night I made quinoa [my new favorite grain] and amaranth [I am still trying to figure that one out]. 

Today my breakfast was a mixture of both grains, with grapes and almond milk, drizzled with raw honey and a shake of Himalayan salt.  It is now among my new favorite breakfast items!

So, crazy as I am, I have been keeping a photo-journal of my ab-session [as in ab obsession ;)].  Would you like to see my progress? [to see larger image, click on it]

I can't believe the transformation in less than 2 months! [AND I can't believe I am showing my mid section to the world either :)...]

So, apparently what I am doing is working.  A couple more months and my abs should be ripped :).  I am planning to give the workout system everyone raves about, P90X, a shot.  I will let you know how that goes.  I am sure that when added to my weekly routine it will get me to my goal much faster. I am also gearing up to start offering Boot Camp at the gym where I teach, so watch out world!  The ab-crazed vegan is on the loose!


PS: If you are looking for a great book on Sports Nutrition, you should definitely read Brendan Brazier's THRIVE DIET book.  I am reading it now and am still learning a lot, plus it keeps me motivated.