RATATOUILLE

A few days ago I was not feeling too well. I was taking care of my body the best I could, so I could recover quickly and get back to my normal life. Amazingly it took me only two days to beat soar throat. Unfortunately for me, right after, I fell victim to a cold or a flu (not sure which one) because I happened to be sitting right under an air conditioner unit for a few straight days. I followed my normal regiment of food intake, but added a bit more bitter greens. Again, gratefully, the sickness affected me for only a couple of days. I was so glad that I stick to a whole foods diet. Sickness was no match for me this time around, unlike many times before I became vegan. I remember one time when I got sick right after my father's funeral, I had spent three straight days in bed. I was week, unable to eat or to keep down unthing that I did try to consume. This time around I spent only evening in bed, preserving my energy to fight cold. On the second day of being sick I stayed home and away from people, not to share "the blessing". By day three I was back in the game...

While I stayed home, nursing myself to health, I had a craving for "comfort" food. Since I did not have much energy and did not want to spend too much time in the kitchen, I pulled out veggies that I had in my refrigirator and made my own version of Ratatouille. After all "everybody can cook!"

When the dish was baking our home was filled with such a wonderful aroma that both, Demetrye and I, could barely wait for it to be done.

I served it with a dallop of vegan sour cream, and garnished with a couple of potatoe chips (my husband's weakness :)).

RATATOUILLE
Ingredients
● 6 medium size potatoes, thinly sliced
● 1 yellow zucchini or squash, thinly sliced
● 1 green zucchini, thinly sliced
● 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
● 28 oz. can diced or stewed tomatoes
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● Sea salt, to taste
● Multi-purpose seasoning, to taste
● 4 tablespoons (or more) of nutritional yeast
● 5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
*feel free to add any other vegetables, such as eggplant, mushrooms, etc. I just happened not to have any at home.

Preparation
● Prepare all ingredients
● Preheat oven to 400 F
● Spread olive oil on the bottom of the baking dish
● Lay out vegetables in layers, sprinkling each layer with salt and seasoning
● Add garlic to any layers you desire
● Divide tomatoes into 2 or 3 parts and spread between layers and on the top layer
● Sprinkle top layer with nutritional yeast
● Cover with foil or a glass lid, if you have it (which is much better)
● Bake for 60-80 minutes or until potatoes are done

BONE APPETITE!!!