Greens Pesto Pasta and Green Smoothie Challenge Day 3

I can find about any way possible to sneak greens into any meal. Last night, after finishing our 3-day green smoothie challenge, along with me, my husband had to work late and was coming home hungry. Good wife to the rescue!

He was a bit tired of smoothies only, but I still wanted for him to get his greens in the evening. So, what did I do? I made pesto with greens! Yes, you heard me right!

Greens Pesto Pasta
Ingredients
• 3-4 oz cooked whole wheat pasta

Pesto
• 1/3-1/2 cup water
• 1 large ripe avocado
• 1 cups spinach
• 2 large leaves of lettuce
• 1 clove garlic
• Himalayan salt to taste
• Kirkland organic mix to taste [about 1 tsp]
• 1 tbs Toffiti sour cream [warning: it is soy based, but you can skip it]
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tsp fresh lemon juice [optional if you don’t like your pesto sour]
• 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil [optional]

Preparation
1. Whip ingredients in a blender [pulse] until pesto consistency is achieved [see picture]
2. Mix with pasta
3. Pile on a plate
4. Garnish with diced tomatoes
5. Serve with homemade wheat bread [I know… pasta and bread… but it did taste sooooo good—I took a bite to make sure it was good!]

Enjoy!

Those of you who are still working on your Day 3 of the 3-Day Green Smoothie Challenge [and I am so happy that you are], here is a recipe that you can add to your arsenal:

Apple and Banana Green Smoothie
[serves 2]
• 3 cups water
• 1 fuji apple, cored
• 2 bananas
• Dark lettuce greens [1 head]
Optional
• 2 tbs barley grass powder
• 2 tbs maca powder
• 3 tbs hemp seeds

Don’t forget that the drawing for one awesome winner of one of my favorite GREEN FOR LIFE books is still open for you to enter. The last person that won a copy of it cannot say enough of how it changed her and she already has a line of relatives of friends in cue to borrow it from her!