Chickpea Curry {Comfort Food/Savory Vegan Recipe}

I don't always plan my meals ahead of time.  Maybe I should, but I think there is a rebel inside of me that loves adventures.  There are also days when I do not feel like cooking at all... and I probably wouldn't had it not been for me keeping my hubby full and happy. 

A couple of days ago I was in such a mood.  Cooking?  Me?  Again?  You've got to be kidding!  But... *with a deep sigh* I headed off to the kitchen, opened the fridge and looked for shortcuts, which I love. 

I had some precooked chickpeas and I was craving savory {read COMFORT} food.  A new, delicious recipe was immediately conceived, based on what I had in my fridge.  I am glad to share the recipe with you, since we really, and I mean REALLY, enjoyed the dish for a couple of days [I try to make enough food to last us a couple of days, so I don't have to live in the kitchen ;).]

Chickpea Curry

Ingredients
  1. 4-5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  2. 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  3. 2 large zucchinis, peeled and cubed into small chunks [you can keep the skin on, if you choose. I had to peel mine to save them ;)]
  4. 2 large carrots, cubed
  5. 1 large onion, peeled and cubed
  6. 1/2 eggplant, peeled and cubed [you can keep the skin on, if you choose. I had to peel mine to save it ;)].  If you have a whole eggplant you can use it--I had only leftovers :)
  7. 2-3 cups precooked chickpeas
  8. Sea or Himalayan salt to taste
  9. 2-3 tbs cumin powder
  10. 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, or 1 cup spaghetti sauce [I used latter]
  11. 2-6 cups of water [if you like thicker soups stick with 2 cups, if you like more liquids as I do, use 6 or more cups]
  12. 1/4 cups your favorite herb [I used cilantro] for garnish
  13. Tortilla bread or corn chips for garnish [optional]
  14. Vegan sour cream for garnish [optional]

Preparation
  1. Saute ingredients 1-6 for 15-20 mins on medium heat. If potatoes begin to stick to your skillet/pot, add 1 cup of water [ingredient #11]
  2. Add ingredients 7-11 in, bring to boil and simmer for 10-20 mins
  3. Garnish with your favorite herb and vegan sour cream and serve with whole wheat tortilla bread [or any kind of bread], or take a handful of organic corn chips and crush them into the soup--they will become soft and will taste heavenly. 

Enjoy!


What is your favorite vegan comfort food?