Community Supported Agriculture

Thanks to our dear friend Darlene, we were finally able to locate a local ORGANIC farm: Willow Grove Gardens. This farm is a part of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Michael & Ruth McKee, the owners, are a hard working couple and deserve the honor they are due. They grow their crops organically and offer it to the local community at affordable prices. It is VERY important to support farms like this one, especially when the economy is struggling and prices of food, gas and other important things are skyrocketing. By buying local we don't only keep the prices down and save money, we also support wonderful, hardworking people and help to keep their businesses running.

Today I made my first trip to the farm, and I know it will not be my last. Just look at all the goodies (my "spoil") we were able to bring home. And can you believe it cost us only $20?!!! It is truly unbelievable. Great, fresh produce; no harmful chemicals. It is picked the night before or even the same day to ensure that the produce is fully ripe and fresh.

After about an hour and a half later, all produce was washed and chopped; greens were put through a salad spinner; and everything was set out to dry a bit for refrigeration and easy use. As you can imagine, by getting my produce prepped ahead of time reduces a lot of work later on. The picture below shows all of my "spoil", although, noticeably missing are tomatoes and a couple of cucumbers and radishes: Demetrye and I were hungry by the time we got home, so we made ourselves a scrumptious lunch. I will post the recipes of our lunch in the next post.

This is ALL the waste that I had from produce you see above. MINIMAL!!! We eat all parts of most of our fruits and vegetable, as each has different vitamins and nutrients beneficial to our bodies. Who can say NO to delicious and beautiful food like this?

Folks, I would encourage you to find a local ORGANIC farm and support them with your purchasing dollars. Keep them in business and save money at the same time. You will feel so much better about shopping!!!