Raw Borsch

I am looking for ways to incorporate more raw vegetables into my diet, which means that I experiment a lot. My kitchen at times resembles a laboratory: counter space taken up with various gadgets and produce. It was like that today. Demetrye was studying and I was "inventing".

I am in need of raising my tyrosine levels. Tyrosine is responsible for production of dopamine, which in turn helps regulate pituitary gland (see, you even got a quick lesson in biology). Beets are largely used to derive plant based tyrosine. Instead of going to the nearest nutrition store to buy a bottle of tyrosine supplement (I will later have to share with you my view on vitamin supplements), I decided that I would rather incorporate the entire beet. (By the way, beet is not the only plant that is helpful in production of tyrosine.)

There is no better way in consuming a fruit or a vegetable except in its raw form, while all nutrients are still alive to benefit our living bodies. So, I was presented with a new challenge. How do I not cook all vegetables and still make dishes similar to what I had grown up with? So, out came my thinking cap and all ingredients that I could find in the fridge. I decided it was time I tried to make a raw borsh. I had previously posted a recipe of a cooked variation of this soup (look in the soup section).

As you will notice, the ingredients are pretty much the same. The only cooked ingredient in this recipe are the potatoes, since I could not imagine eating them raw. So, to be fair, I should say it is ALMOST RAW BORSCH. I had marked this recipe as Variation I, as I think the borsch can be made to taste even better with fresh organic tomatoes, which I did not have this time. I will try making Variation II as soon as I get my hands on some, though.

So, without further due, let me introduce to you a RAWSOME recipe. I know a lot about what a real borsch is supposed to taste like, since I have Russian and Ukrainian bloods flowing in my veins and I spent half of my life living in the former USSR, and this recipe comes as close to the real thing as I know and tastes GREAT!

RAWSOME BORSCH
Variation I

Ingredients
Part I
● 3 cups warm or cold water
● 1 small-medium beet (the larger the beet the sweeter the dish)
● 4 gloves garlic
● 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Part II
● 1 ½ cups water
● ½ red (or any other kind) bell pepper
● ½ large onion
● 1 large carrot
● ¼ cup olive oil

Part III
● 1 carrot, diced
● ½ bell pepper of your choice, diced
● 3 tablespoons chopped dill
● 1 ½ cup shredded white cabbage
● 5 medium potatoes boiled, skinned and chopped into large chunks
● Sea salt to taste
● 1 ½ teaspoon favorite all-purpose seasoning (Mrs. Dash or Kirkland organic are my favorites)

Part IV
● 1 cup hot water
● 4 bay leaves
● Soak together while preparing main ingredients

Preparation
● Place Part I ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth consistency is achieved.
● Transfer ingredients into a large deep dish.
● Place Part II ingredients into a blender and pulse until all ingredients have been chopped into smaller pieces.
● Add to Part I ingredients.
● Add Part III and Part IV ingredients.
● Mix everything together. Make sure it is seasoned to your taste. The less salt you add, the sweeter the dish will turn out. I like my borsch on the salty side.
● Let borsch sit for at least 45 minutes, so ingredients have time to integrate.

● Try serving with a dollop of Vegan Sour Cream.

EAT HEALTHY!!! LIVE HAPPY!!!