Raw Vegan Week Challenge: Day 2 {Water Kefir and How to Make It}

If you read yesterday's post you know that my hubby decided to go totally raw {vegan} for this week and asked me join him.  I wholeheartedly agreed, except I did not promise to be 100% raw, but about 90%.  It's not because I am not capable of it, but it was not in my plans.  So, yesterday I did all raw, except for a portion of my dinner, which was whole wheat pasta with beans, served with a great raw salad. 

Water Kefir and Kombucha Tea
Today I started my day off with a glass of maqui berry water kefir mixed with kombucha tea.  I made the drink myself, and it was to live for!  My hubby, who previously would not drink my kombucha, gobbled it up and asked for seconds... and thirds :)

[If you are not familiar with the benefits of fermented drinks and foods, I would suggest that you read a couple of articles I had previously written on the subject: Benefits of Fermented Food, and How to Make Your Own Raw Fermented Food; How to Make Raw Fermented Vegetables at Home and Kombucha Tea.]

It is not a secret that fermented foods/drinks offer a great source of good bacteria, which is much needed in our currently antibiotic driven world.  The media and even your doctors would have you believe that fermented dairy products, such as yogurt and kefir, are the only sources of probiotics [that is if your doctor even knows what probiotics are ;)].  I am not disregarding the fact that there is some beneficial bacteria in those products completely, because there is.  However, dairy is very harmful to your body and in the end the little good that it brings into your body will do more harm. [To find out more about the dangers of animal products, please consider reading The China Study by T. Colin Campbell.]  And what is a person who lives a vegan lifestyle to do as a better, healthier alternative to fermented dairy foods?  There are a few options: 1. Ferment your own raw vegan veggies at home--the process only involves shredding veggies, adding specific seasonings, stuffing ingredients into a jar and waiting about 4-6 days; 2. Making (or buying) Kombucha Tea  which will take 14-30 days, depending on the strength you desire your tea to be and 3. Making Water Kefir, which can take as little as 3 days.

All three are wonderful options.  Fermented Veggies can be eaten by themselves or added to salads and drinks can be enjoyed any time of day.  All have their place in a daily/weekly diet, but some take less time to make.  Water Kefir is a sure answer to a person with a busy schedule or with little patience ;).  I prefer to have both kombucha and water kefir available at all times and drink them interchangeably.  I add them to my green smoothies, I drink them plain, I flavor them, or even mix the two together.

What is Water Kefir and How to Make It 
So, what is Water Kefir?  It is a mixture of Water and Simple Sugar fermented by adding Water Kefir Grains to the mix.  The grains are nothing more than simple bacteria that loves sugar and grows on it.  The simplest recipe, once you have your kefir grains, is water and sugar, mixed in a glass container, with the addition of kefir grains.  The container must be covered with a breathable cover [I use paper towel and a rubber band] and placed in a warm place to allow kefir grains feed and grow on sugar.  Within 3-6 days, while bacteria is thriving on sugar, it produces gas, which creates soda-like effect in water [little bubbles and all].

Water kefir can be taken as is, or, if you want to make it fun and attractive to adults and kiddos alike, consider bottling it, adding various flavors, such as maqui berry powder, spirulina, berry juices. etc., and leaving it in a fridge for an additional couple of days.  You will be surprised the taste you get once you open your bottles, and the drinks will be soda-pop like [they will taste as if they were carbonated].  Super good!

You can also make coconut milk kefir with water grains!  Totally fun and amazing food.

I take it a step further with my water kefir.  I mix it with kombucha tea [1:1 ratio], which I make myself with green tea, [once tea has fermented (I like mine on a stronger side)].  I then add different flavors to it: today it was maqui berry powder and blue green algae [separate drinks].  I bottle the drinks and refrigerate them.  Ever since I started making kombucha/kefir this way I haven't been able to keep my hubby away from it!  It's a win/win for me and him.

Where to Buy Water Kefir Grains
All you need is a little starter kit.  Your grains will keep growing every time you feed them sugar [they are like little animals ;)].  The time might come that you might have to give your extra grains away :).

I am sure there are many sources of good quality grains, but I can only speak for the one that I used to get my  grains: meet the Kefir Lady of Real Kefir Grains. I spent only $20 on my starter grains, over 8 months ago, and have been drinking water kefir since.

If you decide to get kefir grains and try your hand at making your own water kefir, plain of flavored, let me know what you think of it and what recipes you come up with that I might want to try.

Raw Vegan Food Intake: Day 2
So, it seems that I digressed a little.  I was telling you what I had for breakfast today, which was maqui berry kefir+kombucha drink.  My hubby had a green smoothie for breakfast.  We snacked on fruit.

For lunch I made a delectable Cilantro & Spinach Salad using my new lovely salad spinner

  • 3 large handfuls spinach, chopped
  • 1 handful cilantro, chopped
  • 1 carrot, julienned
  • 1 cup artichoke hearts [marinated]
  • 1 ripe avocado, cubed
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds


For dressing mix:

  • 1 tbsp Veganaiese
  • 1 tbsp Better than Sour Cream
  • 2-3 tbsp water
  • salt to taste
  • favorite seasoning

Pour over salad and enjoy!

Our dinner has not yet been planned, but I am already looking forward to having it :)

Have a fantastically healthful day!