Soaking Nuts, Seeds and Legumes

“Why soak nuts, seeds and legumes?” you might ask… I know I did. I actually used to think it was a waste of my time. Why not just eat them they way they are? I thought that soaking legumes and brown rice was only to make the cooking times easier and shorter. And then… I saw the light, and learned the truth.

I discovered that un-soaked nuts and seeds contain enzyme inhibitors that are there to protect them and prevent sprouting until conditions are right for growth.

When certain conditions (rain and sun) are met, the inhibitors and toxic substances (toxic to our bodies) are broken down and removed. Not only that, but the beneficial enzymes we want from them are actually doubled. In nature, when it rains the nut gets enough moisture so it can germinate and produce a plant. The plant then continues to grow with the sunlight.

Why are the enzymes so important to us? There are about 3000 enzymes that are currently known. Enzymes work within us and all living things, keeping our body systems operating. From digestive enzymes to metabolic enzymes, the body relies on enzymes to function. The performance of every organ in our bodies is linked to enzyme activity. In essence, without enzymes, there would be no life.

Cooking foods that have protective enzymes will sure get rid of them, but it will also destroy all of the beneficial enzymes as well.

When we consume un-soaked nuts and seeds, the enzyme inhibitors can actually interfere with proper digestions, so we are not only wasting foods (seeds and nuts) by not being able to properly absorb them, we are also expending unnecessary energy. Ingesting enzyme inhibitors will actually deactivate some of our own enzymes in our systems, our organs must then supply the enzymes, which causes undue burden on our systems. Eating enzyme-rich raw foods can help to restore health. By soaking nuts and seeds, protective toxic substances and enzyme inhibitors are broken down, and all the nutrients are then released for easy digestion and absorption.

Soaking times vary with the nut. Generally the more dense the nut, the longer the soaking time.

I found a chart on Raw Food Living that shows you different times that various nuts/seeds need for proper soaking.

Now, does this mean that you have to eat your nuts and seeds wet? Absolutely not! Once the nuts/seeds have been properly soaked you can dry them, either by letting them sit in the open air or in a dehydrator. I prefer the latter—less mess and less time. For example, a couple of days ago, I soaked some peanuts, walnuts and almonds. While the nuts were soaking I also made sure to rinse them a couple of times. I soaked my nuts for a day. I then rinsed them and laid out in a dehydrator. I placed my dehydrator in the garage, to reduce noise in the house. After the nuts had dried, I placed them in glass containers. Now they are ready to be our healthfully tasty snacks.

One other interesting aspect of soaking nuts that I found to work for me was this: normally I could not eat more than a few pieces of walnuts--they were just too acidic for my tongue. My taste buds would literally get irritated. Now, since I started soaking, I can eat handfuls of walnuts with no side effects. Go figure! Apparently it was protective enzymes that were not agreeing with my body.

When I do soak nuts/seeds, I soak enough only to last us a few days—there is no need to soak several pounds of them, as the enzymes are still intact, as with all live foods, and mold will grow quickly, if you don’t properly dry them. You might also want to consider storing soaked and dried nuts/seeds in the refrigerator.

I hope this helps, folks! Happy soaking time to you! And a Wonderful, Joyous Christmas!!!