What's for Dinner? You ask... Part I

We are completely snowed in (you can see what our streets look like on my photography blog [click here]), so I had an opportunity to invent/try new dishes. The trick was to use what we already have in the house, since I could not drive to the store. Most of the times it is not a problem for me... I should emphasize that: FOR ME... but I live with three other people, two of whom can be somewhat picky about their food. Demetrye, for example, while likes potatoes in general, will not eat them in a soup. My mother, on the other hand, likes potatoes in general, but would not have soup without them in... Thus, my dilemma at times... Whom shall I please? Well, most of the times I would make a couple of different dishes and hope that I hit the spot for both of them. Today was no exception: I made soup, although without potatoes, since Demetrye shoveled snow for almost two hours, and I really needed something to warm him up quickly. I also made brown rice with vegetables.

Here is my first recipe. I will post the second one tomorrow.

Lentil and Bean Soup

This recipe makes enough servings to feed four adults for a couple of days, so, unless you are like me and do it purposefully, you might want to cut everything in 1/2 :)

Ingredients
Part I
● 10 pints (20 cups) of water
● 3 cups of dry kidney beans (or any other kind you like)
● 2.5 cups of dry lentils
● Sea salt to taste
● Favorite spice to taste
● 1 cup cooked brown rice (optional)

Part II
● ¼ cup olive oil
● 3 cloves of garlic, minced
● 2-3 large carrots, sliced and chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color, but I used red)
● 1 medium onion, chopped
● 1 cup sauerkraut
● 1 cup of green onions chopped, as garnish

Preparation
Part I

● If you don’t have pre-cooked or pre-soaked beans, combine water, salt seasoning and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook beans for about 30 minutes.
● Add lentils and cook for additional 20 minutes or until beans and lentils are cooked.

Part II
● Meanwhile, combine all ingredients, except for sauerkraut and sauté for 10 minutes on medium or medium-low heat.
● Add sauerkraut and sauté for another 5 minutes.
● When Part I is cooked, combine both parts and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
● If you have pre-cooked brown rice (which I happened to have, since I was making two dishes tonight), add to soup.
● Sprinkle with green onions before serving

Enjoy!