What's for Dinner?

Folks, have I got a treat for you!

After clearing out some of the remodeling mess today with Demetrye, I decided that it was time I tried something new. I recently saw a recipe for a RAW cheesecake. It looked pretty good, so I decided to give it a try this week. I went to Whole Foods market and got all of the ingredients. By the way, this turned out the MOST expensive cheesecake I had ever eaten!

I followed instructions to the best of my ability, but following instructions (recipes) has never been my forte, so I did make a few tweaks. Unfortunately for me, my high speed blender (Kitchen Aid) is not high speed enough to have handled the job the way it ought to, but... nevertheless, the dessert came out quite good. It is VERY rich and I could not even finish my portion, but I will go back to finish it later on tonight for sure.

While I was making the dessert it was time for dinner, so I also made a couple more dishes: Veggie Stew and Green Salad with Rice. I am including recipes for all courses.

Enjoy! And, let's start with the first and second course...

Veggie Stew


Ingredients

● 1-3 cup olive oil
● 3 cloves of garlic, minced
● 1 large onion, chopped into cubes
● 3-4 carrots, roughly chopped (depending on how you like your veggies
● 2 bell peppers, chopped (any color you have)
● Your favorite seasoning
● 1/3 cabbage head, thinly sliced
● 3-4 large potatoes, thoroughly washed, and cubed (I prefer to keep potato skin on, if it looks eatable)
● Sea salt to taste

Preparation
● Combine oil, garlic, onion, seasoning and carrots together.
● Saute for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
● Add bell peppers and cabbage and sauté for another 5 minutes.
● Add potatoes and salt.
● Add 2-3 cups of water.
● Turn heat to high, but only long enough to bring water to boil, then reduce to low-medium heat. Cover the pot and cook until potatoes are cooked and start falling apart.

If you like your stews with more liquid, like I do, then add more water, if you don’t (like my husband) then you can drain off the liquids and, instead of a bowl, serve it on a plate, like you will see below.

Green Salad with Rice

Salad Ingredients

● 1 head of dark leaf lettuce, chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped
● 1 carrot, thinly sliced
● 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
● 1 Granny Smith apple (or any apple that you have handy)
● 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
● 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (I used What Germ oil)
● Favorite seasoning to taste
● Sea salt to taste

Preparation
● Combine all ingredients and toss until well mixed.
● Serve with steamed rice. (I prefer brown rice, but was a bit short on time today, so coped out and went with white rice. You should not really use white rice, at least not very often. I average about once every 2-3 months.)

And finally, my new dessert.

Raw Cashew Cheesecake
(makes 5 servings, the size of what you see in this image)


“Crust” Ingredients
● 3 cups pecans
● 3 cups pitted dates

Filling Ingredients
● 4-5 cups cashews
● ½ cup raw honey
● ½ cup raw Agave syrup
● Juice of 2 lemons

Topping ingredients
● 2 large mangos
● ½ blueberries (optional)

“Crust” Preparation
You will need high speed food processor, or high speed blender
● Combine pecans and dates and grind until homogenous mass is achieved.
● Lay out in 5 individual containers or 1 large container.

Filling Preparation
● Combine all ingredients and blend until you the filling becomes smooth.
● Pour over the “crust”.

Topping Preparation
● Combine your favorite fruits together (I used frozen mangoes) and blend until smooth.
● Pour over the filling.
● Set in refrigerator to set.

Serve with hot herbal tea.

Enjoy! It can’t get more RAW than this :)

Stay well this season! And, remember: EAT HEALTHY!!! BE HAPPY!!!