Our Story

My husband, Demetrye, had high cholesterol (220!), and chest pains for several years. At times I was scared that he might have a heart attack or a stroke. Two years ago his doctor told us the only way to take care of the problem was to take medication. His reasoning was that since Demetrye exercised regularly, ate "healthy" (or so we thought) and was not overweight there was nothing else that could be done by us to make the problem go away. So, his high cholesterol was written off to heredity—the ever-responsible for all evils of the world genes. It was at that time that I set out on a quest to find a healthier alternative and a cure for his problem. What pushed me even more was running into an acquaintance of ours who was diagnosed with breast cancer. The information I started to acquire was so incredible, yet simple, that I wanted to know more. It just happened that at that time we met someone who had taken Wellness 101 class, offered by the Wellness Forum in Westerville, OH, and told me about The China Study, and incredible book about affects of nutrition. As I was reading it, with every page, I developed more and more hope that my husband would not have to be on medication for the rest of his life.

As I read the book, I shared information with Demetrye. We immediately started making adjustments to our diet. In December of 2006 we became vegan (by choice), and actually never looked back or regretted doing it. Our diets are very rich in nutrition, we eat a variety of foods and as much as we need to, we get full quicker, but never get "stuffed", and, of course, we lost a little bit of weight because of that as well, but that is only one of many benefits.

In January of 2007 we visited Demetrye’s physician together and requested for him to be taken off medication, so that we can see how the changes in our diet would affect his cholesterol. We were expecting changes! We knew what was going to happen, although his doctor kept telling us that his condition was "hereditary" (Demetrye’s family has a history of heart attacks, strokes, etc.) and there is nothing that can be done about it. When we told him that he would see improvements when we returned in three months, he scoffed at us, in a way only doctors can. We disregarded his remarks because the new knowledge that I had acquired was overwhelmingly opposite of his opinion.

Three months later Demetrye took blood test and, get ready for this… his cholesterol was down to 173! That is 47 points down with no medication in THREE months! The chest pains were subsiding as well, and mind you neither his physician not cardiologist could diagnose what was causing them.

At our follow-up appointment the doctor seemed to be amazed, although he did not want to admit that he was wrong. He told us to keep doing what we were doing, and to come back in 6-9 months to see him (Demetrye used to see him every 3 months—he had to take blood tests that often to make sure medication he was taking was not affecting his liver and kidneys). Before leaving I told the doctor that the next time he sees us Demetrye’s cholesterol will be under 150 (a benchmark for healthy arteries ). You would have thought that the doctor had learned his lesson and would have let me get away with that, but he smirked at me, again, saying that probably it is not possible.

Demetrye’s last blood test was taken in November of 2007, only 9 months after he was taken off medication. His cholesterol was at a healthy 149!!! That is 71 points down in less than 9 months! Yes, I was right yet again… Only this time we decided not to go back to his doctor. It really was not worth spending money for me to walk in there and say: “I told you so!” The chest pains are gone as well, and I no longer live in fear of losing my husband.

Ever since then, I had become extremely passionate about nutrition and fitness. Both are imperative to maintain a healthy life style. 85% of diseases can be dealt with and prevented by a simple change in diet!!! So, why not take charge of your health today? Why listen to doctors that might be as unhealthy as the rest of the earth’s population? I am not saying that we don’t need doctors, we do, especially in life-threatening emergencies, but we should not wholeheartedly believe them every time they hand us a new prescription. We have to challenge them. We must do our own research. We have to take control of our lives!!!

If you don’t believe my story—I have a proof. I had kept all of Demetrye’s test results: three pieces of paper, three small snapshots of our victories. I will post them on this blog one day. Until then….

EAT HEALTHY!!! BE HAPPY!!!