Green Smoothies vs. Girl Scout Cookies

Folks, I hope your day is going well and you benefited from yesterday’s post on the Benefits of Green Smoothies.

I have my smoothies daily, and the one I made yesterday happened to match my jacket AND my eyes! Isn’t that cool? [My lovely hubby snapped this picture while we enjoyed our morning chit-chat.]

Last night, while we were having dinner, my sister came and brought a “treat” for Mom—girl scout cookies. Mom, as generous as she is, although knowing that we do not eat such non-food items still offered it to us.

After cleaning the dishes, I decided to pick up the box of “cookies” and see what’s in them [I know, total party spoiler, but that is one of my weaknesses ;)]. Now, I am well versed in chemicals and food additives, but some of the ones listed on the box surprised even me. What in the world is TBHQ? [I know that I could Google it, but I just don’t wanna.] You can enlarge the image by clicking on it to see the item list.

No wonder that my poor mother developed an upset stomach by the nightfall. [Oh, and I forgot to mention that my camera refused to even focus on the box, while I was trying to take a picture of the ingredients. It was throwing a little hissy fit :) I think. I don't blame it! It focused just fine on me :).]

I on the other hand will choose a green smoothie over such “treats” any time of the day.
Here is my Green Jacket Smoothie recipe from yesterday.
Makes 4 servings
• 2.5-3 C water
• .5-1C George’s Aloe Vera
• 3 C raspberries [I used frozen]
• 3 bananas
• 5-6 large beet green leaves [including red stems]
• 5 tbs flax seed
• 1/4 C dulse

In my cup, for my daily intake I added 1 tbs maca powder.

YUM! No preservatives, no additives, no ingredients you cannot pronounce—all organic and totally digestible.

To your health! [Yes, I am sporting my new glass straw by GlassDharma. This one is my favorite--it is wide enough for the smoothie sludge to get through, even when it is almost pudding like.]

Question of the Day: Do you ever get tempted by any of the non-food items such as girl scout cookies? Or would you pick a green smoothie over a cookie?

Don't forget to enter amazing Coconut Bliss Ice Cream giveaway here.