I've Killed My Kombucha

My recent birthday adventures reawakened a desire in me to make my own kombucha. I pulled out the jar with my kombucha mushrooms out of the cupboards to only realize that the chance of their survival was probably next to nothing--the liquid their were in was nearly gone... and it has been a few months since I made my last batch. But I decided to give it a go and see if I had a chance of resurrecting them.

After a few days of waiting I decided to peek in and discovered something that you might see in a science class:
Not a good sign at all. If it looks like this you know you should not be eating/drinking it.

Poor kombucha... sad Elena. Now I have to get back out on the market and find another HEALTHY kombucha mushroom, and quickly.
Lesson learned: don't leave a kombucha with little liquid unattended for several months on end--it will die.