Sports Nutrition

As we are getting my husband ready to take off on the 788 mile marathon our diet is more raw and nutrient packed than ever! I am feeling even better than before, that is except when I have to wake up early in the morning. Being so busy with new things unfolding all around me I average about 6 hours of sleep every night. It might be sufficient for some, but it leaved my body wanting… : ) My new goal for the next several months will become going to bed earlier… I love waking up COMPLETELY rejuvenated. However, even with my current load I am able to get to feeling energized in about a half hour. I normally start off my morning by doing several stretches, before diving into my getting-ready-for-work “ritual” : )

But… I sidetracked here.

I decided that I should let my readers know a bit our “marathon” diet, although I am now learning more and more about proper sports nutrition (what, how and when to eat for maximum results). It is not that I did not know before, but most of our work outs were 1-1.5 hrs long, so that I did not really have to become too meticulous with little details. Now that Demetrye rides for up to 2.-3 hrs at a time it is a completely different story.

Our mornings always start with liquid intake. I try to get down at least a glass or so of water as I prepare our breakfast and lunch meals. Then, we normally follow up with a green smoothie to get our energy up and going. Smoothies differ from day to day, as I try my best to rotate greens, fruits and veggies for most benefit.

Today’s Green Smoothie consisted of:
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup Rejuvelac (water can be used instead)
• Greens: Chard and Lambs quarters
• 1 banana
• 1 apple
• 3 small carrots
• Flaxseed (my Vita-Mix grinds it up for me, so I do not have to pre-grind it)
• 1 teaspoon of Spirulina for each of us

Because of Spirulina (fresh water algae) the smoothie comes out extra green. I actually enjoy the intensity of the color. Spirulina has many wonderful benefits and, perhaps, one day I can dedicate a whole post to it. I have been wanting to add Spirulina and Chlorella to our diet for quite some time, and just recently discovered that Whole Foods carries Spirulina in bulk. .06 lbs cost me only $26, which is a lot less compared to what I would have paid for it in a tablet form. Now I just need to get the store to start carrying Chlorella and I will be a happy camper. The two are a perfect “twin” set for not only sports nutrition but for anyone who wants to achieve optimal health. They both are rich in chlorophyll and rich in protein, among other things.

For snacks we grab simple things—I prefer to have mono-fruit (meaning that I have either an apple or a banana, etc., but don’t combine them). It is easier to digest foods that way, and I actually find it more enjoyable. Apples, especially Fuji (and others that are crunchy and juicy) are my favorite snack food.

For lunch I had Corn Chowder (I made it for the first time last night. I liked it enough with some sort of bread, be it raw or not. Demetrye, however, was not a huge fan and let me have his portion as well : ) Sorry, Carolyn!) I had it with my vegan (cheese-less) pizza made from home ground grain.

I will be planning our dinner later on, but will most likely down another serving a green smoothie before our evening meal.

I am feeling great and energized! There is nothing like it.

To make things better I have taken the plunge and ordered a 9 tiered Excalibur dehydrator. I am looking forward to making more raw creations and reducing the desire for cooked foods in my life to a minimum.

Speaking of dehydrators, and I realize I am nearly ranting and spilling my guts out here, another reason I cannot wait to get my new toy, is because I have started making Sprouted Granola Bars . Last night Demetrye and I prepared 38 of these babies for him to take on a road with him to keep his body as clean as possible from any processed foods he might have to eat on the road. With my new dehydrator making these will be nothing but fun! I just need to figure out how to get them packaged so I can make them available to everyone.

For the Marathon we are preparing not only Sprouted Bars, but also Energy Bites and tons of Green Smoothies. I am also planning to make a couple of Sports Drinks and Sports Recovery Drinks I found in Brendan Brazier’s book: The Thrive Diet (I am actually so excited—I am planning to buy the book for Demetrye as his Welcome-Home gift! So…. Shhhhh… don’t tell him! I know that he is too busy to read my blog at this point ;))

As exciting as this week is going to be for Demetrye, I already know that I am going to miss him terribly. Believe it or not, but in over 6 years of being married, this is going to be our FIRST time being apart for more than 1 day… Life is just not the same without him… :( To make things more complicated it will also be the first time that he will spend his birthday without me (since we've met).

I am getting myself prepared to see him off on Thursday, when he and the rest of the team will take off from Longview, WA. And, I am sure more than ready to see him come back this coming Sunday. I am so proud of him! He was able to get ready for this marathon in a record time—less than a month. His recovery time is amazing (due to our diet and lifestyle)! He bounces back overnight!

Please join me in praying for the entire team’s safe travel there and back. They are setting out to accomplish a great goal and deserve a great reward for that!

Until next time: LIVE AN UNPROCESSED LIFE!!!