Daniel Fast Vegan Recipes, Day 2

Hello, world! It is time to recap our Day 2 of Daniel Fast.

Personally I can tell you that I felt great at the end of the day. Over the weekend, before the fast started, my body fought come kind of a bug, but thankfully, due to my clean diet and prayer, it never developed into anything except a couple of days of deep, raspy voice and one day of minor discomfort. Last night, by the time I went to bed I felt fabulous and was ready to conquer the world.

For breakfast we had fruit and for brunch a little bit of the pasta leftovers from Day 1. I finished off my lunch at about noon. I was on the road [work related travel] yesterday, so Demetrye and I ended up stopping by Whole Foods in Vancouver for a quick bite. We had their black rice with veggies in it, which was pretty fabulous.

I kept drinking lemon/cinnamon water throughout the day to help my scratchy throat.

For early dinner we had Borsh [see recipe by clicking on the link], and for later dinner I went all out and whipped up flat bread tortillas made with hard white whole grain flour [it’s almost the same as whole wheat grain only slightly lighter in color].

DANIEL FAST TORTIALLAS
To make tortillas I used the aid of a bread machine.

1.5C water
3.5C flour [whole wheat or hard white whole grain]
1 tsp Himalayan salt

• Place in a bread machine and let it knead for 25-30 minutes, adding more flour if needed. If you do not have a bread machine or another kind of contraption to help you knead the dough you will need to do it by hand. If you do, I suggest using warm water, which will make your job easier.
• When the dough was ready divide it into 8 equal parts
• Pre-heat a skillet on medium heat setting.
• Oil the skillet with about 1-2 teaspoons of sunflower oil.
• Drop first tortilla on the skillet and start moving it so it does not stick to the skillet.
• Flip over and do the same on the other side. When parts of tortilla turn golden—it is done.
• Place cooked bread on a plate and cover so it remains pliable.
• You won’t need to add any more oil to finish the rest of tortillas.


Tortilla Filling
• Chop 1C spinach
• Dice 4 Roma tomatoes and 1 avocado; mix them together and season with salt and 1T red wine vinegar.
• 2C yellow corn, seasoned [you can defrost frozen corn if you don’t have fresh]
• Brown rice

[Earlier in the day I presoaked 3C brown rice, which was cooking with 2tsp of salt while I was making tortillas.]

To assemble a tortilla [the way we did], take the bread, spread some brown rice on it, yams, tomatoes with avocados, spinach and corn.

Enjoy it!


While the bread machine was hard at work I prepared DELICIOUS yams. Making them was super easy.

DANIEL FAST YAMS
1 large yam, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, peeled and cubed
Himalayan salt to taste
1 tsp Kirkland organic mix spice [use whatever might please your taste buds]
2-3T cold pressed sunflower oil

• Preheat the skillet on medium-medium high, add oil and salt to it.
• Add yams and onions.
• Stir occasionally so yams don’t stick to the skillet.
• Turn heat to medium and cover.
• Cook until yams are soft.

I can tell you that is was my FAVORITE DISH FOR THE NIGHT… I am planning to have leftovers for lunch today.

*please do not use non-stick pans for cooking—they are laden with chemicals that are harmful to your body and can cause serious problems, such as hormone disruption, infertility in man and women, and heavy metal poisoning.



I will check back with you tomorrow again.

If you are following the Daniel Fast, let me know how you are doing or what would be helpful for you to see on this blog.